Share Button

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Story Review - Midnight Meat Train

Unfortunately I have to admit to being a little underwhelmed by my re-read of the Midnight Meat Train. Honestly, the movie that came out in 2008 was 1000% better than this story. That's beyond unusual with Clive Barker stories. Usually his movies suck major ass. And not in the fun way.

The prose is okay but the story just feels a little too rushed. Unformed. That was solved by the movie. Everything felt more fleshed out in film.

So what do I like? The conspiracy of the city and the creatures. The agelessness of the things in the dark. I like Kaufman losing his tongue. His ability to speak. I liked the subtext about the loss of identity in the big city. The lack of humanity. The city literally eats people up. The scene on the train. The use of sounds to create a picture.


Purchase from: Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Button