Share Button

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Review - The Trivium Proportion

The Trivium Proportion


This book has all the good things and all the bad things about the original Aeon Flux animated series. There are some great ideas and interesting world building here; however, it is almost impossible to follow the story line because it moves in jumps and spurts.

I really wanted to like this book. I've talked to the author briefly on twitter. He seems like a great guy and I hate delivering bad news. I look at the reviews on Amazon and they are all very positive: five stars. I wonder which book they are reading because it is not this one.

A series of vignettes can be disjointed and still enjoyable. I'm thinking specifically of the series of matrix shorts (Animatrix). This might be an issue of too many people trying to be supportive without having the guts to be honest. This book should have received much more work before it was published.

There truly are some great ideas in here. Fantastic characters that deserve stronger writing. This book needs at least 2 more re-writes, one to add the parts of the story that didn't make it on to the page and one to improve pacing.

I look forward to whatever comes next from Mr.Phillips. Hopefully it is more polished.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Button