Share Button

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

A Book Every Man Should Read - eLoves me eLoves Me Not by L.A. Johannesson


You know you've read a good book when it changes the way you look at the world. I don't think that was L.A. Johannesson's purpose for writing this book. In fact, I'm fairly certain I'm not even her target demographic. Nonetheless, I feel I am a slightly different person now that I've read this book.

SYNPOSIS

The synopsis is simple. Kayte is a successful business women married to her job rather than a man. She decides it's time to change that and, at the prodding of a friend, tries online dating. From this starting point, the novel takes on a journey of personal discovery as Kayte discovers what she wants and doesn't want in her life.

At it’s heart eLoves me Eloves me not is a simple “chick flick” in book form. Think of it like Bridget Jones Diary (one of my personal all-time favorites). A strong successful woman looking for love in all the wrong places discovers what is truly important in life and happens to find love along the way.

WHY IT WORKS

What eloves me, eloves me not does so well is put you completely in the mind of lead character Kayte. I felt I was inside a woman's mind. For that reason alone, this is a book every man should read.

Johannesson has a crystal-clear writing voice that helps the reader live inside Kayte's mind. There are no car chases nor are they any alien invasions. What rests at the center of eloves me, eloves me not is a journey to connect in a digital age. Kayte also learns online dating is not magic.  She comes to realize that the mystery of how we find the love of our lives remains that: a mystery. There is something beyond our control, an element that shows up with it is ready, not when it is summoned.



Kayte is a wonderful character, instantly likable and relatable. She is a wizard at her job. She excels under pressure and helps others do the same. Her only issue in life is that she’s alone. She wants to have success in romance the way she’s had success in business. And that is actually the problem. She deals with finding a romantic partner the same way she deals with a business problem. She puts a plan in place and executes it. She tries to “fix” the problem of being single.


One of my favorite part is this section where she talks herself into an impossible relationship:


When I read this my first thought was “Dear lord, she’s insane.” Then I realized that, in my youth, I had similar delusions. Kayte's real growth starts when she realizes this.

How does it end? Read and find out.

THE AUTHOR

I’ve been fortunate enough to meet L.A. Johannesson. Months ago, while looking for an editor for Council of Peacocks, she popped out of nowhere. She offered affordable assistance and some wonderful insights that strengthened the novel considerably. We’ve communicated several times since then. I also met her in Toronto for Word on the Street (see video). She radiates warmth and joy like few people I’ve met, truly the sort of person I’d love to sit and have a glass (or two) of wine with.

LINKS:

L.A. Johannesson's Official Website
L.A. Johannesson on Goodreads
eLoves Me eLoves Me Not on Amazon.com
eLoves Me eLoves Me Not on Amazon.ca
eLoves Me eLoves Me Not on Amazon.co.uk






BOOKS BY M JOSEPH MURPHY:

Amazon: M Joseph Murphy on Amazon: Paperback and ebook
Smashwords: M Joseph Murphy Author Page on Smashwords
Kobo: M Joseph Murphy Books on Kobo

1 comment:

  1. Joseph, thank you for your kind words. I'm still blushing.
    As for that last bit about radiating warmth and joy, I just have this to say about that, "It takes one to know one!"
    It's been a true pleasure meeting you both on and off line.
    We'll definitely have that wine someday soon!
    Cheers,
    LA

    ReplyDelete

Share Button